Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vegetarian Chili

When I was single I was not much of a cook, meaning dinner for me often times meant sticking a frozen pizza in the oven or pouring 2 bowls of cereal.  However, marriage has brought about within me a desire to learn how to cook better and to cook more frequently.  One of my recent goals has been to discover and prepare one new dish a week.  I've actually had a lot of fun doing it and have ended up with  a lot of yummy meals!  I thought I would share a simple recipe for Vegetarian Chili that I adapted from The Williams Sonoma Cookbook.  I made this today and both Zach and I loved it!  It was easy to make and very affordable (as long as you have all the spices on hand).  The original recipe called for 2 cups of dried pinto beans, allowing them to soak for at least 4 hours.  Instead, I opted to use 2 cans of black beans (the most nutritious bean) and 1 can of navy beans (for some variety).  I also used 1 less onion than what the original recipe said. And, since we like our chili to have a thicker texture, I used less broth than what the original recipe called for.   I used regular pre-ground pepper as opposed to cayenne pepper (because it's what I had on hand) and, if you prefer less spicy, I recommend adding less chili powder and/or forfeiting the chipotle chilis (although they do give it a really nice smoky taste).  Here is the adapted version of the recipe that I used.


Makes 6-8 Servings


2-3 cans (15.25 oz.) of black beans  (you can use any kind of bean you prefer)
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup (1 oz) chili powder)
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper (or cayenne pepper)
11/2 cups (12 oz) canned diced tomatoes, with juice
1/2 - 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, minced
3 cups Vegetable Stock or low-sodium broth (feel free to use more if you like a soupier chili texture)
1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar

In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onions and saute until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the minced garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring so the mixture cooks evenly to release the flavors, about 3 minutes.

Add the tomatoes with their juice, chile to taste, the stock, and the drained beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer. Add vinegar and cook for 1 min. longer.  Ladle chili into bowls.

We topped our chili bowls with sour cream (well, I did.  Zach hates sour cream) and shredded cheese.  Isn't sour cream the most delicious thing ever?  It just adds a scrumptious tang flavor to your food.  Although, I wouldn't recommend it on all things!




2 comments: