Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Taste of Morocco {With an American Twist}

Photo Credit


Having traveled ALOT, I often get asked the question, "What is your favorite place you've been too?"  I used to stop and think about it because, to me, it seemed that choosing one favorite place was like choosing one favorite year of your life.  Just like age 7, 19, and 27 offered so many different experiences, lessons, relationships, and fun times, each country or city I've visited is distinctive and special in it's own way.  

How could I pick just one favorite?  That's impossible... right?

The last time somebody asked me this question, a country came to mind right  away.  It was the same country that has always come to mind when I get the "favorite" question.  And then, a little voice inside me said, "Hey!  Wait a minute!  Why am I ignoring my gut instinct on this one?  If this one place is so quick to jump to mind...  I guess I DO have a favorite!" 

Morocco is one of the most beautiful, unique, and colorful places in the world (in my humble opinion).  The people, the history, and the fascinating blend of North African and European culture are inspiring.  But one of the most enjoyable things about Morocco is it's cuisine!  

Yep, the FOOD.

I attempted to make my own version of one of Morocco's most popular dishes, Tagine.
Of course, my version is a bit more low-maintenance (translation: easy) and the preparation process is a bit more American-style than that of a traditional tagine.  

I experimented with a vegetarian version and it turned out absolutely delicious.  And this recipe is very simple to prepare.  I do hope you'll try it!

Vegetable Tagine

                                                                                                               

1tbs. extra virgin olive oil                                                            *yields 4 servings
1 large onion, chopped     
1 zucchini, diced                                                                                            
1/2 bag of chopped (or sliced) carrots                                   
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
One 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
2 cups vegetable stock
Salt to taste
1 1/2 cups couscous (1 cup couscous = 2 1/2 cups cooked; packaged works well)

Variety tip:  You can also use canned chickpeas to stand in as a substitute for meat, if you desire.

1. Cook 1 1/2 cups of couscous in medium pot according to package directions.  Fluff couscous and set aside.



2.  Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the onion and carrot and cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until softened.  Add the zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, vegetable stock, and salt.  Reduce to low heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes.  


3.  Serve over couscous and ENJOY!













2 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks delicious! I will need to make this, and that way I can always think of you at the same time! I made a dish from Cooking Light last night. It is called Mores and Cristianos. We all really like that one. It is ham, black beans, rice, tomatoes, cumin, etc. Definitely will try your dish soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I'll definitely give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete