Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Real-Life Daily Routine

Routine?  What's that?

After having lived in 8 different places in the past 5 years, each time knowing that a move is in the not too distant future, being in a constant state of transition has become my norm.  If I were to write my routine down on paper, I'd have to tear it up as soon as I finished because it would need to be different.  With each new location and life-style, my daily routine has altered.  I thrive on having a routine (as most of us do) and have found the key to keeping my days as peaceful as I can is to create a routine that is as flexible and simple as possible.

Instead of having a tight, scheduled day, I follow a routine of markers - key elements to indicate a successful day.

*Wake up early.  This is the hardest one for me, because I am naturally more of a night person.  However, I am not a productive night person.  There is a difference.  :-)  I find that if I get up earlier I am apt to get so much more done.  Rising early gives me time to spend with God before the day begins.  Jesus said sitting at his feet was "the one necessary thing" (Luke 10:42).  I believe him.  On a side note, why is it that your bed always feels so much more comfortable in the morning than it does when you lay down to go to bed at night?  One of life's great mysteries...

*Exercise.  Whether it's going to the gym that day or getting outside to go on a walk, I like to get at least 15-30 minutes of exercise in each day.

*Cleaning or organizational project(s).  Usually this means simple tasks like making sure the dishes are cleared out of the sink, sticking in a load or two of laundry, or organizing paper clutter.  Little on-going things that keep the home in order and keep you from feeling like you have a monstrous mess on your hands.  Occasionally I'll tackle something bigger as needed.  Yesterday I went through my closet and dresser to sort through clothes I never wear or don't need anymore.  The finished product was one full trash bag of clothes to give away and organized dresser drawers.  We'll see how long they stay organized, but it will definitely stay simplified for a while.

*Eat lunch.  This sounds so simple, but it's easy to get caught up in what you're doing and skip lunch.  I notice that eating a little something gives my energy level a good "pick me up" in the early afternoon.

*Errands.  If not, rest a little in the afternoon.  Afternoons usually end up being the time when I go out and run errands.  These include grocery shopping, going to the post office, bank, etc.  If I don't have any errands to run on a certain day I don't try to find something else to do to fill in that time.  I do not shy away from rest and relaxation. :-)  If I have some free time in the afternoon I will usually read, blog, or get together with a friend.

*Prepare and eat dinner.  Learning to cook more meals has been a priority of mine this first year of marriage.

*Pick up and wash dishes.  I try to get this done before I call it a day.  It doesn't always happen, but it's something I try to do.  Waking up to a sink full of dishes is not my favorite way to start the day.

Everything else that comes up falls between these markers.  I also try to remember to keep a flexible mind-set.  Some days it all gets done and I feel like super woman.  Other days I look around and realize all I managed to do was get the dishes washed.  Even if I only touch half of these markers, though, I can still see it as a successful day. I am home most days so I am blessed to have the time to do a lot of this. With another move coming up, we'll see how this routine changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment