Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Importance of Meeting God in the Morning

Something the Lord has been reminding me about lately is the importance and joy of the discipline of communing with Him in the morning.  Beginning the morning with God is a sweet reminder of our relationship to him as his children.  I notice a huge difference throughout the day in my attitude, my relationships, and my thought life when I have sat down and spent time with God as opposed to when I haven't.  Making it a priority to sit at the feet of Jesus, laying the plans of the day before him, and listening to him speak through his Word helps us to grow as believers and prepares our hearts and minds for the day ahead.  John 15:5 says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing".  

Christ is our source of life.  How can we live our day experiencing the fullness of Christ if we are not remaining "plugged in" to the One who gives us abundant life?  

I find that morning time is the best time for me to spend with God. I know that if I don't get in the Word and pray in the morning, most likely it won't get done.  If I jump into the tasks of the day first or get distracted with something else, it's more difficult for me to quiet my heart, be still and commune.  

“We ought to be Martha and Mary in one: we should do much service, and have much communion at the same time. For this we need great grace. It is easier to serve than to commune.”
~ Charles Spurgeon

Several Scriptures point to the morning as being an important time to commune with God.  
 Mark 1:35 – Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
Psalm 5:3 – In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.
Isaiah 50:4 – The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.

Getting God's Word in the morning allows us to meditate on it, letting it soak into our hearts, and apply it throughout the day.  

Simple, more focused living begins with making our relationship with Christ our first priority in the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment