Monday, December 6, 2010

Visit to a Friend's Home

As I walk arm and arm with my friend Dina* through the small town and down the dusty roads, I see the evidence of a simple life all around me.  Men lay out in the fields as their sheep graze, ladies wash clothes with a basin of water and a scrub board, children play together in the streets and stop to look at me as I walk by.  I wave to them and say hello.  Some smile while others just stare, not knowing what to make of this foreigner.  We enter into a small, one room house to say hello to a family Dina knows well.  They invite us to stay and have some tea, but we graciously decline.  We make our way to the barn where the animals are kept.  Dina laughs when I mistakenly call a cow a "blessing" (the Arabic words for cow and blessing are very similar).  As we walk back to her house I am once again captivated by the beautiful mountains that surround us.  As I enter into the home the smell of spices overtake my senses.  Dina's mother and sisters are in the kitchen busily preparing couscous for the afternoon meal.


Couscous is a staple North African cuisine made from semolina wheat and coated with finely ground wheat flour.  It is served in a pile on a platter with beef, chicken, or fish and vegetables.  This dish is usually prepared on Fridays but it is also often served to guests when they come.

While lunch is being prepared, Dina and I sit in the living room area where we watch her sister's wedding video as she proudly points out her family members.  Videos of weddings and special occasions are often shown when entertaining foreigners.  A little while later I hear voices at the front door.  The house quickly fills up with family members and neighbors.  As is customary, greetings are exchanged by lengthy handshakes with  all the men and many kisses on each cheek with all the women.  We sit and visit for a while and, finally, the food is brought out.  Everyone gathers around a small round table where a large platter of couscous is waiting.      Using your hands or a spoon, whatever your preference may be, we all eat directly off of the same platter.  I see that the meat served with this particular couscous is lamb.  Not being a huge fan of lamb meat, I try to eat only the vegetables and grain.  Of course, the hostesses cannot let this happen!  Some of the choice meat is picked off and placed in front of me.  I notice that the heart is on the menu as well.  Hoping silently that I do not have to eat this I chew slowly, giving the appearance that I am eating more than I actually am.  But, alas, the heart is cut into different pieces and some is given to everybody.  Dina's mother hands me a piece of the heart, encouraging me to eat more by saying "Kuli, Kuli!"  I put it in my mouth graciously and feel my stomach lurch.  Chewing slowly, I say the old prayer, "Father, I'll get it down, you keep it down!".  Finally, the couscous is gone and I am stuffed, but lo and behold, here come the chicken.  A whole chicken is served along with bread and everybody digs in.  Small glasses of coca-cola and mint tea are served after the meal.  Then, to top it all off, fresh fruit for dessert.  After another hour of visiting it is getting late and I must go home.   Dina's family invites me to come over anytime and tells me that I must stay the night the next time.  I happily agree and say that I will see them next week "Insh allah" (God willing).  No plans are ever made without using this phrase.  Dina and I walk to catch a "grand taxi" and we squeeze into the crowded car where people are practically sitting on top of one another.  By the time I get home I am exhausted.  After 6 hours of speaking and listening to Arabic my mind is tired.  Reflecting on the day though, my spirit is full and my heart is content. Once again, I thank the Lord for this incredible adventure, these amazing experiences, and these wonderful people!  

   

* Name has been changed

This was a story that I had written to friends and family almost 3 years ago.  I was living in North Africa at the time and falling in love with the people there.  I wanted to share this (maybe again) with you all today because the time I spent there is still a treasure to me and I love remembering it.  I hope you enjoyed!  

No comments:

Post a Comment